Saturday, March 23, 2013

Changes, big and small

Last night I made a couple revisions to my FAQ ... actually, my whole blog now that I look at it! I've been getting a lot of e-mails from writers who want to know how I got freelancing work with Cook's Illustrated and can I share some tips for landing an assignment. Were it that easy! So if your dream assignment is writing for Cook's Illustrated, go read what I have to say about it here.

Also, if you're an expert or author in search of a co-author or ghostwriter for your next project, I'm no longer in the market for those opportunities. Last year my co-author Linda Formichelli and I started our own publishing company to support our Renegade Writer brand. With two books of my own to develop, write, and produce, plus editing Linda's books, I just don't have room for any more projects on my plate right now and for the foreseeable future.

Speaking of those two books: I released ROCK-SOLID QUERIES earlier this month. I just checked Amazon.com and it's currently ranked #5 on Kindle's bestsellers list for journalism. Nice! Thanks to all of you who've bought a copy. If you liked it, I hope you will leave a nice review for it.

Writers Guide - High Resolution

And right now I'm hard at work on this book, The Writer's Guide to Pseudonyms, which I plan to release later this spring. I bet many of you don't know that Diana Burrell isn't my legal name. Technically, it's my maiden name and not technically a pseudonym because I don't use it to disguise my identity as a journalist. But what most people don't know--including most of my friends and family--is that I write fiction under a pseudonym/pen name/nom de plume. For various reasons that I'll explain in the book, I do not want people knowing that I'm the person behind my pseudonym. (And please don't ask me to tell you: I haven't even told my own husband, mother, and best friend what it is.)

I've learned a lot in my years working as a journalist, nonfiction writer, and fiction author, so this book will be filled with valuable tips and advice on everything from deciding to use a pseudonym for the right reasons (and how some of the wrong reasons can bite you in the behind!), how to choose an appropriate name, how to set up accounts ranging from bank and PayPal accounts to Facebook, Goodreads, and Amazon's Kindle Direct Program, and so much more.

Stay tuned for more details!

Lastly, my April class is filling up fast. I was thinking of taking the rest of the spring and summer off and start teaching again in September, but there is a small chance I may teach one last class in May, then hang my hat up for awhile. If you're interested in a May class, please leave a comment below or e-mail me at dianaburrell[at]gmail[dot]com.

No comments:

Post a Comment